Entry Level (Less than 2 years of Experience) Education:
High School Type:
Part time Number of Positions: Apply Here
Phoebe is a premier provider of high quality and rehabilitative services to older adults. Discover the difference a career at Phoebe can make in your life by becoming a part of our compassionate and caring team!
We are currently seeking a compassionate, caring Unit Secretary at our Allentown Campus, preferably with experience in long-term care or geriatric nursing. Applicants should have strong communicative and organizational skills and be interested in joining our dedicated team to provide excellent quality of care to our residents. We offer a comprehensive training program to ensure your success.
Schedule: Part Time, 6:45am-3:15pm, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Skills: Proficient reading, writing, grammar, and mathematics skills; knowledge of medical terminology; working knowledge of medical transcription procedures including medical administration of records; good interpersonal relations and communicative skills; proficient typing skills; proficient computer skills.
Responsible for performing a variety of clerical duties relating to the updating and organizing or information on the nursing neighborhoods; taking off physician orders, coordinating work within the neighborhood as well as with other neighborhoods and departments; reporting pertinent information to the immediate supervisor; responding to inquiries and requests from staff personnel, etc.
- Review and audit chart information for items required by Federal and State regulations
- Transcribes physician orders
- Follows Unit Secretary Routine – see attached
- Performs various clerical duties relating to the updating and organizing of information
on the nursing neighborhoods as illustrated by the following:
- Processes a variety of information for new admissions and re-admissions, i.e.,
assembles chart, prepares the resident’s plate, bracelet, and door tag, adds resident’s name to physician’s order schedule, lab lists, census lists, and various other records and listings, and completes quick ADT.
- Processes information for resident transfers and deaths; processes necessary
information for discharges and copies pertinent information requested at the
time of discharge. Utilizes admission transfer and discharge checklists to ensure completeness.
- Updates assignment sheets as requested with census changes.
- Maintains resident charts; adds incoming information to charts, e.g., hospital
preference forms, permission for medical treatment, Medicaid
sheets, etc.; sorts and distributes hospital papers to charts and medical records
area; keeps all necessary lists and schedules in order and up to date on assigned
- Maintains schedule for completion of routine physician orders and communicates weekly with neighborhood staff and 11 – 7 shift supervisor. Also audits for completion.
- Runs transfer sheets from the computer and copies health coverage cards as needed for appointments and hospitalization of residents. This includes consults and preauthorizations for referrals.
- Picks up and delivers mail daily from neighborhoods and central nursing area; distributes interdepartmental mail.
- Answers the telephone on the nursing neighborhood; directs calls to appropriate
individual; takes messages.
- Removes documents from charts according to established schedule and obtains
old records from the medical records area as requested.
- Stocks neighborhoods with office supplies weekly; prepares requisitions to maintain established inventories.
- Provides clerical support to nursing personnel on assigned neighborhood.
- Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties including, but not limited to, the
1) Organizes and straightens neighborhood’s nursing station.
2) Prepares for daily lab draws and communicates to phlebotomist necessary devices.
3) Monitors for UDA compliance.
4) Print meal percentage completion sheets for each neighborhood.
5) Upload digital pictures into EHR system.
6) Complete MA51 form as assigned.
7) Generates HNL codes and requests for monthly and yearly lab work and monitor compliance.
8) Makes deliveries to and from the switchboard, e.g., eyeglasses, hearing
aids, lab specimens.
9) Imprints charge slip and delivers hearing aide batteries, etc., to designated
10) Delivers and picks up test results and other information as requested.
11) Stamps forms with addressograph.
- Coordinates specific work tasks with other personnel within the department as well as with other neighborhoods and departments in order to ensure the smooth and efficient flow of information.
- Reports pertinent information to the immediate supervisor as requested, or according to an established schedule; compiles information as necessary or as directed.
- Responds to inquiries relating to his/her particular area or to requests from the public, staff personnel, etc., within given time frames.
- Insures an atmosphere which allows for the privacy, dignity, and well-being of all residents in a safe, secure environment.
- Follows Standard Precautions as necessary
- Maintains awareness of individual responsibilities under the established Fire Safety/Disaster plan.
- Adheres to Phoebe Ministries/Phoebe Allentown policy and procedures.
- Insures the confidentiality of all resident- and/or employee-related information.
- Insures compliance with established Risk Management program.
- Attends all mandatory in-service training programs and required meetings.
- Takes an active role in performance improvement studies, committee’s, focus groups, etc.
- Covers additional neighborhoods as needed to provide relief for coworkers.
- Demonstrates the ability to meet established behavioral expectations outlined in The Performance Coaching process. 18. Is aware and understands the mission, vision and values of the organization.
- Ancillary Duties
1. Performs tasks which are supportive in nature to the essential functions of the position, but may be altered or redesigned depending upon individual circumstances.
Successful candidates are ones that can thrive in a positive and respectful work culture. Phoebe offers a caring work environment, competitive starting wages, generous paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k, etc. Phoebe is an equal opportunity employer.